Sunday, July 25, 2010

2145

Wow!!! 2145! That is the number of miles I have ridden in the last three weekends. This does not count to and from work on a daily basis. These are the weekend trips the last three weekends.

765-- That was the first trip for work. I had a meeting and doctors appointment in Portland three weeks ago. I also forgot my wallet in Philomath so I had to make a return trip home before heading to the Bend/Redmond area for the first of two Yellow Ribbon Veterans Education and Employment Fairs that I attended the weekend of July 10. The trip to Bend and some eventful moments... like the summer snow storm of bugs while riding along the river in the early evening between Sweet Home and the top of the Cascades on Hwy 20.

I stayed at a great new hotel in Bend; The Oxford Hotel. I highly recommend it. It was a great stay and I only wish I could have spent more time at the hotel. I arrived at 10:30pm and had to leave the next morning by 7:30am to be at the Deschutes County Fairgrounds. The fair went from 9am - 3pm and then I headed south and west to Medford for the next fair.

I rode down hwy 97 towards Crater Lake, bypassed going into the National Park and headed for Medford. I arrived in Medford around 6:30pm. After getting settled into my normal hotel (the Holiday Inn Express) I went out to find the Central Point High School and the location of the next Yellow Ribbon Vet Fair. Did I mention that it was a really warm weekend? In the 90's in Portand, Bend and Medford. It is amazing how quickly one can become dehydrated. Note to self, drink more water!!!

The Vet Fair in Medford was interesting to say the least... Nothing like hanging out in a very hot gym for 6 hours. The big questions of the day were.. Why did a building contractor had three huge bags of ground coffee on their table? They had no clue as well. So we spent the day making up stories about the coffee. The best quote coming from the Subway Sandwich Table next to the OSU table... "I definitely have sandwich experience!".

I also had the opportunity to meet Senator Ron Wyden. He came up to our table to thank us for for attending the fair. It was nice of him to acknowledge that people came a long way for the fairs and we (OSU) were one of the only two state universities that were in attendance.

The return home to Philomath was uneventful and it was nice to be back at home... More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment